from £1125 per person
Loire Family Discovery Loire
Loire Family Discovery
Gentle cycling and activities to suit all the family
Loire Family Discovery
The Loire is the perfect region for a family activity holiday: quiet country lanes and shady woodland routes make for gentle cycling for all ages and abilities. We've allowed plenty of time to visit the suggested family attractions and still make it back to the hotel for a dip in the pool before dinner. Cycling, canoeing, family cookery course, châteaux, charming family hotels and great menus.... this holiday has something for everyone.
Please see the 'Additional Pricing Information' section for pricing information for this family holiday.
- 3 and 4 star family run hotels with pools
- Family fun canoeing on the river Cher
- Afternoon family French cookery course with dinner so that you can enjoy your own creations, no cooking skills needed.
- Clos Lucé home of Leonardo da Vinci and interactive museum of his working inventions
- Château de Chenonceau the most photographed chateau of the Loire Valley
- Château de Cheverny, the Château behind the inspiration for Tintin and the Tintin interactive museum, don’t miss the spectacular feeding time of the hounds
- Château Chaumont and the quirky interactive international garden festival
- Château Chambord – the most impressive of them all
- The bustling medieval town of Amboise and the Royal Château
- Optional train ride to visit the prettiest and most impressive Zoo in France: the Zooparc de Bauval
You can choose to begin this holiday on any day of the week.
Itinerary & Hotels
Arrive Chitenay (3 nights) day 1
You will be met on arrival and transferred by our friendly rep to a Belle France favourite, an elegant village Auberge whose beautifully presented cuisine is served in a bright and airy restaurant. Enjoy a dip in the pool and relax in the gardens before dinner.
Auberge du centre
The Auberge du Centre, a three star hotel with 27 bedrooms, is located in the centre of Chitenay, a small, quiet village, typical of many in this Garden of France. The hotel, though not particularly large, occupies a prominent position on the high street and is swathed in Virginia creeper. Across the road is the white tufa stone church with its little avenue of pollarded trees shading the place de l’eglise. A small shop offers basic groceries, and the wherewithal for a picnic.
There is a pleasant comfortable bar to the front of the hotel and the restaurant runs through to the rear. There is private parking at the back of the hotel with storage and racks for Belle France bikes. The garden, home to red squirrels, has a couple of swings and enough hidey-holes amongst the colourful shrubs to keep children entertained in safety.
From all points on this crossroads, cycle routes are signposted to Cheverny (6 miles), Chaumont (11 miles) and Chambord (15 miles) which are three of the larger chateaux within relatively easy range, and other lesser known gems are even closer.
- En suite bathroom
- Satellite television
- Free WiFi
- Pleasant, easy cycle routes on the doorstep
- Pretty, tranquil village location
- Attractive garden terrace for al fresco dining
- Friendly staff, great for families
Monsieur Martinet is clearly proud of his hotel whose restaurant has an established reputation in the Blois catchment area. The food is carefully prepared and presented fairly elaborately in some cases. The menu offers a reasonable choice and children are catered for with simplified ‘grown up’ dishes (no nuggets in evidence). Local Loire wines are much in evidence on the wine list with some good value carafes on offer, especially those from Cheverny.
Le croustillant de canard confit à la confiture d'oignons et son mesclun aux noix
L'assiette de saumon fumé à l'Auberge, salade de betterave rouge aux herbes
Le médaillon de volaille de la ferme de la Faubonniére farcie aux pleurotes, sauce forestière écrasé de pommes de terre aux appétits
Le filet de Lieu "sous Anna", boulgour crémeux à l'estragon et tomate confite, beurre citronné
La sélection de fromages de chèvre et son mesclun
L'opéra chocolat, crème de marron et glace aux grains de café
La tarte fine aux pommes, Sauce caramel, glace pain d'épices
Circuit Day Trips (20 - 30 miles) day 2
Our day trips our designed to take you along country roads and forests tracks to visit the most amazing Chateaux that the Loire has on offer.
The hardest part of your day will be to choose which amazing château to visit first?..
- Château Chaumont? The park hosts a quirky International garden festival with delights for all ages in every corner.
- Château Cheverny? With its beautifully preserved interior, relaxing gardens and boat trip, but the real treat is feeding time for the hounds.
- Château Chambord? The grandest of them all and the inspiration behind Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. On first sight through the trees it will take your breath away with its fairly tale turrets and imposing chimneys. The famous double helix staircase designed by Leonardo de Vinci himself will fascinate children and explore the roof terraces for amazing views. Allow time to explore the 800 hectares of parkland and hunting grounds. The daily equestrian shows are in period costume and combine the nobility of the horses with circus movements and are a real treat.
Family Activity - Cookery Course day 3
From Mousse au Chocolat to Cocquilles St Jacques, something for all taste buds and abilities, no cookery experience necessary. This is a fun afternoon of creative family teamwork followed by dinner to enjoy your own delights.
Arrive Chenonceaux (3 nights) day 4
Your last three nights are spent at the lovely 4 star Auberge de Bon Laboureur with beautiful gardens and a swimming pool, in the centre of Chenonceaux with views of the enchanting château.
Your route from Chitenay to Chenonceaux is a gentle 20 miles on flat terrain, quiet lanes and riverside cycle paths.
Auberge du Bon Laboureur
A former postal relay, the Bon Laboureur has been a country inn since 1786. It has kept the charm and authenticity of an old stage coach stop over.
Established at the heart of the little village of Chenonceaux, surrounded by vineyards and gardens and in the immediate vicinity of the Chateau of Chenonceau, the Auberge du Bon Laboureur is the ideal place for a relaxing stay in the midst of nature.
- Free WiFi
- Outdoor pool
- English spoken
- Breakfasts in the room if requested
- Garden terrace
- Satellite TV in room
- Air conditioning
- Bathrobes and slippers provided
The Auberge du Bon Laboureur restaurant favours genuine traditional French cuisine that has been updated. Top quality seasonal products and produce from the Inn’s vegetable garden contribute to the authenticity of the preparations and aromas. Simple, tasty dishes are fundamental.
Circuit Day Trip (20 miles) day 5
You need to plan your day to allow a visit of the enchanting Château de Chenonceaux with its beautiful gardens. Take a pedal boat along the river for the best views of the château and explore the maze and gardens for a superb family day out. The ride today passes through forests to the medieval town of Amboise. You can enjoy the working models of Leonardo da Vinci at the Clos Lucé museum and gardens. Have a picnic in the grounds of the Royal Château before returning to relax by the poolside.
Family Activity - Canoeing day 6
A fun family morning canoeing on the river Cher; get closer to nature along this calm and beautiful river passing by beautiful architecture. Stop midday for a picnic lunch and then meander your way to the collection point for a return to your bikes and short cycle back to your hotel along the river bank.
Route & Location
Customise Your Holiday
Additional Pricing Information
Price for this holiday is per person based on a family of four sharing a family room/apartment.
Please call us on +44 (0)1580 214010 for a customised quote.
Tag-alongs and chariots are available.
In March 2017 France introduced a law that requires all children aged 11 and under to wear an approved helmet while riding a bike, whether they are pedalling themselves or being carried as a passenger. Failure to do so can result in a fine of €90 for the parents.
5 out of 5 rating based on 2 reviews
Pricing & Enquiry
Enquire by phone
Phone the Belle France team during 9am - 5pm (GMT) or leave a message. International calls will be charged at your standard rate.
Or complete this form...
Please submit your enquiry and we will respond within one working day.
For a more detailed quote, please complete our:Detailed Booking Enquiry Form